PI First Name:
PI last name:
Area/s of Research:
1. Relate the quota allocation decisions to the socio-economic performance of the different value chains of anchoveta products, evaluating both the extraction and the processing stages.
2. Determine if the current management system for the DHC sector generates inefficiencies that lead to perverse incentives for misreporting and control evasion.
3. Run alternative scenarios to help reduce socio-economic inefficiencies and perverse incentives.
1. Collect data and adjust the basic model and tool in close collaboration with the Vice-Ministry of Fisheries and other key agencies to incorporate the dynamics of the value chains that are part of the anchoveta fishery: the fishmeal, fish oil, and the DHC sector. Analysis will include effects on the extraction and processing stages of the value chain. The model and tool are based on the most advanced socio-economic theory for natural resources management.
2. Refine the tool ́s web interface to better report and interpret the results of the analyzed scenarios and produce recommendations. Results will be expressed through the analysis of key socio-economic indicators that are important to stakeholders. The free-access web interface will allow managers to evaluate how the indicators are affected by alternative management and policy decisions.
3. Conduct working sessions with representatives from the government, the industry, the artisanal sector, universities, and non-governmental organizations to review and validate the tool and to present simulation scenarios and results. Produce and present reports of analyses of management options to fisheries managers.
4. Provide training and technical advice to government officials for the proper use of the tool and the interpretation of results. Training will be implemented through interactive modules both in class and through webinars with participation of members of the Conservancy and SFG-UCSB.
The main deliverables of the project will be the socio-economic model and the web-based interface tool. Additional deliverables will be the reports of analyses of management options and the training modules.