The Marine Science Building (MSB) is to be used primarily for events that are in support of the mission and activities of the Marine Science Institute (MSI). When necessary, competing requests will be prioritized by the Director or Deputy Director of the Institute.
Conference Rooms and A/V Systems Information
Users of MSB meeting rooms are responsible for the condition of the rooms. Moving furniture between rooms, damaging media systems, or leaving the rooms in a dirty condition is not allowed.
COVID19 Protocol: Chairs and tables are to be wiped down before and after the meeting by the users of the room.
All guests in attendance need to take the daily survey.
Thank you for keeping our conferences safe.
There are four conference rooms available in the Marine Science Building. You may request a reservation directly with a room reservation request below
This theater-style room is located on the first floor of the Marine Science Building. It features stadium-style seating for approximately 90. It includes a Rear Projection Screen with Audio/Video system. There is a lectern with VGA and HDMI inputs available.
A/V System Startup Instructions
- Start with Laptop and A/V System powered off
- Connect Laptop to a video input (VGA input: good, HDMI input: best)
- Power on A/V System using the wall touchscreen unit. Wait while it starts up
- To turn on the Rear Screen Projector, press the "Display On" Button. The button will flash during startup. It’s ready when it stops flashing. You should start to see the projector display a blue screen with the word, "Hitachi", as it powers up.
- The default input is "Floor Box Left". You should not have to adjust this.
- Power on Laptop. It should detect the Projector and display on the screen.
Mac Mini Instructions
- Start with the A/V System powered on and the wall touchscreen unit set to "Floor Box Left"
- Grab keyboard from server rack that says "Remote"
- Power on keyboard
- Using the wall touchscreen unit, press the "Mac Mini" button. Wait while the A/V System detects the Mac Mini
- Plug in any USB drives into the Mac Mini from the Server Rack
Please Power off the the A/V System using the "System Off" button on the Wall touchscreen unit. Please turn off the "keyboard" for the Mac Mini when you are done using it.
To minimize technical issues, follow the instructions in the order listed!
Troubleshooting the A/V System
- The projector has gone to sleep.
- The projector will go into power save mode if it does not detect an input signal after 5 minutes (it should display a countdown). To prevent this, make sure your laptop is connected and doesn't go into sleep mode.
- If the projector goes to sleep, Power off the A/V System using the "System Off" button on the Wall touchscreen unit, and start the instructions over.
- The laptop display is on the screen, but it keeps flashing.
- One of the A/V components is in a weird state. This usually occurs if the A/V system is left on over an extended period of time. Power off the A/V System using the "System Off" button on the Wall touchscreen unit, and start the instructions over.
- Do I have to power off the laptop if I have to re-initiate the start-up instructions?
- No, but that is the best way to force the laptop to detect the display. If you know how to force your laptop to "detect displays" or display in Duplicate or Mirror mode, you can leave your laptop on and connected. If it doesn't work, power-off and reboot.
- The A/V System was on when I entered the room.
- The last user forgot to power off the system. Don't trust it, as this is the cause for the top two issues. Power off the A/V System using the "System Off" button on the Wall touchscreen unit, and start the instructions over.
- The screen size seems small.
- The VGA input is locked to 1024x768 (a 4x3 aspect ratio) to be compatible with as wide array of laptops as possible. The HDMI input will auto-detect to a compatible screen resolution and usually a 16 x 9 aspect ratio. Use the HDMI input for the best screen experience.
- The screen is blank, or it reports a failed bulb.
- The projector bulb has a limited lifespan. If the projector never powers up or displays a warning about the bulb life, it is time to change the bulb. At this point the A/V System is out of order, and you should consider using a different room. Please contact email@example.com or 893-7145 so we can scheduled maintenance on the projector.
The MSB Conference Room 2318 is located on the second floor office wing of the Marine Science Building . This room seats approximately 25 people. Modular tables allow for multiple seating configurations. It has a white board on one wall, and has a manual pull down screen and a data projector with a VGA input available at a wall plate.
UCSB Wireless is available in the room.
The MSB Conference Room 3322 is located on the third floor office wing of the Marine Science Building . This room seats approximately 25 people. Modular tables allow for multiple seating configurations. It has a white board on one wall, and has a manual pull down screen and a data projector with a VGA input available at a wall plate.
UCSB Wireless is available in the room.
The MSB Conference Room 4318 is located on the fourth floor office wing of the Marine Science Building . This room seats approximately 20 people around a central boardroom table. There are power and network hook-ups available along the table. It has a 70-inch flat screen television with VGA and HDMI inputs available.
Instructions for TV
- Press power to turn on the TV
- Press input until you see HDMI1 for the HMDI cable at the table
- Press input until you see HDMI2 for the Mac Mini
- Press input until you see RGB for the VGA cable at the table
- Press power to turn off the TV
The MSB 2nd Floor Balcony is available to reserve for MSI events. Please note, if you will need access to the kitchenette, you need to simultaneously book the 2nd floor conference room or it will not be available for use. Also, users must furnish all supplies, including additional chairs, tables, umbrellas and heaters. Currently there is very little patio furniture. All trash must be removed to the downstairs trash bins behind the NOAA and MS Buildings in the dumpsters on the left hand side behind the closed gate.
Equipment is available for checkout with 24 hour advance reservation: Equipment is not available for non-MSI events.