Task 1: Conduct collaborative fisheries monitoring data collection in the Santa Barbara channel and northern Channel islands portion South coast MLPA region in the Kelp & Shallow Rock Ecosystems (0-30 m) and Mid-depth Rock Ecosystems (30–100 m) in 2021.
- Sampling to occur between August and November 30, 2021 in [Santa Barbara County] Carrington Point SMR; and [Ventura County] Anacapa Island SMR and State Marine Conservation Area
- The data collection will be conducted using methods statistically compatible with data from the MLPA central coast Baseline Program.
Task 2: Participate in Statewide CCFRP Program.
In order to complete Task 1, partnerships in all statewide MLPA regions will need to be effectively maintained. Active communication with partners and a common understanding of the project goals and objectives and consensus on the approaches to data collection will need to be reached. To accomplish this, the UCSB team will:
- Participate in meetings with interested fishing community leaders, agency staff and academic researchers. Topics at the meetings will cover scientific objectives, the need for collaboration, scientific and social benefits of the collaboration, and how the collaborative monitoring has worked historically in the Central MLPA region
- actively communicate with current and new citizen science collaborators by assisting the lead team with posting information on websites, social media outlets, sending out newsletters and holding annual meetings with volunteers.
Task 3: Participate in Analysis and Reporting for the 2022 MPA network evaluation
- Ensure that all data are entered and QA/QCed in a timely fashion following each field season
- Assist with analyses on MPA performance using the CA MPA Monitoring Action Plan as a guide to relevant questions
- Assist other PIs with report writing and dissemination of results.
Deliverables: Production and delivery of: 1) data and metadata from 2021